This month (April 13th) we gave a presentation to the NYC puppet User Group, on the node classification tool Foreman.
Joe Crobak, who attended wrote up an excellent blog post capturing our preso.
Foreman is an ENC system for puppet, which greatly enhanced Puppet’s functionality, by acting as a central datastore of node metadata, that assists in provisioning workflows. (It also handles bare metal provisioning, and VM image management, but we aren’t using it for that yet.)
We have been running the latest stable version (currently 0.2) of Foreman as our ENC (External Node Classifier) and really love it, and are working on contributing code to the project. (Which currently has over 20 active contributors).
* Project homepage: http://theforeman.org/
* Release notes: http://theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/ReleaseNotes
* Full Rest API docs (Read/write): http://theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/API
* Github: https://github.com/ohadlevy/foreman
* IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/theforeman (ohadlevy is the original author)
Brandorr Group LLC is a one-stop cloud computing solution provider, helping companies manage growth and ship new projects using cloud and scalability best practices.